Kansas City was the first town in Anderson County. It was located on Iantha Creek in the northwest part of the county by Dr. G.W. Cooper in 1856. It was a paper town and the only building was one moveable cabin moved there by John Murphy, but no town was ever built. There is no mention of a post office being there at any time. The town's name was changed to Iantha. Its location was the West half of Section 27 and the East half of Section 28, Township 19. Range 18 .
Elba was another town never existing except on paper. In January, 1858 the Town Company of Elba was organized by Harvey Springer, B.F. Ridgeway, A.G. Poteet, and William Springer. The town would have been the first in Lincoln Township. The site was surveyed and the plat filed with the probate judge in Anderson County.
The town ended when the town founders decided it was useless to spend time and money on a town they felt was to be built in the location and they abandoned the project.
The little known town of Valley City was established in 1857. After platting two other cities, Garnett and Kansas City, Dr. G.W. Cooper founded another town along with Dr. Thomas Lindsey. They surveyed and staked out a townsite near the junction of the North and South Pottawatomie Creeks and named the town Valley City.
A lithographed plat of the site was made, but no city businesses or occupancy was made of the town. However, when a local archeologist metal detected and excavated at the site he did find evidence there had been at least one residence in the location.
Copyright © 2019 Anderson County Historical Society - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy Website Builder