The little known town of Valley City was established in 1857. After platting two other cities, Garnett and Kansas City, Dr. G.W. Cooper founded another town along with Dr. Thomas Lindsey. They surveyed and staked out a townsite near the junction of the North and South Pottawatomie Creeks and named the town Valley City.
A lithographed plat of the site was made, but no city businesses or occupancy was made of the town. However, when a local archeologist metal detected and excavated at the site he did find evidence there had been at least one residence in the location.