Kansas City was the first town in Anderson County. It was located on Iantha Creek in the northwest part of the county by Dr. Cooper in 1856. One cabin was built there by John Murphy, but no town was ever built. There is no mention of a post office being there at any time. The town's name was changed to Iantha.