On March 15, 1857, a large group of migrants, about fifty people, left Scipio, Jennings County, Indiana, and headed west for Kansas. The group included families and arrived in northern Anderson County, April 20, 1857, and settled in what is now northern Putnam Township.
They immediately began building log cabins, breaking prairie sod for fields, and creating farms. By September ten cabins were built with families residing in them. Morgan Heflin and William Spriggs saw a need for a store and opened one in a little town called Fairview. Fairview was located on the crossroads of today’s Highway 59 and NW 2350 Road. The store was on the northeast corner of the crossroads and sold general merchandise. Later a school was built on the northwest corner of the crossroads and named Fairview.
Later J.M. Perrine built a store on the southeast corner of the crossroads. A post office was established and located in the store and Perrine was postmaster. This post office may have been known as the Scipio Post Office, established in1859, since there is no listing of a Fairview Post Office this writer can find.
An interesting side not on J.M. Perrine as he was the father of Van Dearing Perrine who became a famous artist in New York City. His paintings hang in several famous art museums. He gifted a small painting to the Garnett Library in 1911. His painting is now in the Dorothy Archer Room in the new library in the Walker Art Collection.
When the Leavenworth, Lawrence and Galveston Railroad did not come through Fairview because of the steep grade coming north from Pottawatomie Creek and the steam engines were unable to pull the train up the grade it was re-routed through the valley to the east of Fairview. The businesses in Fairview moved to the railroad and the town died. Today nothing remains to indicate a town ever existed at the crossroads.